The biggest transformation in your confidence to sell or win new business comes when you appreciate the value and benefits you bring.
It’s such a great statement and it really resonated with me. In fact I’ve told many of my clients about it this week too.
Many freelance trainers I work with are not confident about marketing and find it quite stressful. They worry about coming over as pushy and don’t like talking about money. They struggle to charge the fees that will allow them to have a profitable business because they don’t feel justified in charging what they are worth. In short, they fail to appreciate their value.
Appreciating your own unique skills and the benefits you can bring to clients can make a huge difference to the way you approach business. Once you appreciate that you are helping your client ( or potential client) by providing a service or solving a problem that they cannot do themselves you immediately feel more confident and better about the process. Believing in yourself and what you have to offer gives you more credibility with the client, you become a more attractive proposition and you can charge more money.
Here are 7 Ways You can Add Value:
1. Gain an extra qualification. Get skilled in something that not every trainer can do. For example, MBTI or DISC.
2. Become an expert. Focus on one type of training, one subject area. Get really good at it. No-one wants to hire a generalist.
3. Understand their industry and talk their language. If you have worked in their industry you will have more credibility and it will be easier to sell your services. If you haven’t then do your best to find out as much as you can.
4. Understand the needs of your buyer. Most buyers of training are very busy and they just want a consultant to come in and get the job done with a minimum of fuss. Really get to know your buyer. Get out of the office, go and have coffee. Really get to understand their isssues and frustrations. Listen to them.
5. Demonstrate value in your proposal. Show how your training or coaching will solve your clients problem. Quantify they value to be delivered.
6. Surprise and delight them. What can you do for them that they don’t expect?
7. Keep a record of all the ways you are helping your client (s). This is great information to have at hand when you are pitching for future work with them. It’s also evidence of your track record to add to your Trainer Profile. And it’s a very useful confidence boost too!!